|Guiding Steps to Your Career: Research, Prepare, Participate in Career Fairs!
By Karen Graham, Senior Recruiter
Spring time is the kickoff for Career and Internship Fairs, where students and alumni can meet representatives from major companies and industries. At these events, recruiters and employers screen attendees, collect resumes, offer learning opportunities, and seek out candidates for current and future hiring needs. This is a great networking opportunity!
Most Career Fairs are hosted by a professional organization or college campus department. You can search online for a list of Career Fairs in your area or check out the Sodexo Calendar of Events. But, what should you know about career fairs?
Research, Prepare and Participate:
- Research your industry of interest and make a list of participating companies.
- Accept Career Fair Advice from professional sources.
- Wear business attire to ensure you have a professional appearance.
- First impressions matter – look your best and you will feel more confident.
- Network with professionals in your field.
- Have conversations that count – ask questions that generate the most information.
- Sign up for and attend career-related events such as interviews and presentations.
- Follow up for best outcomes – you want to be remembered – and make a good second impression.
Stay focused on your ultimate goal. Identify your best career fit by accessing your available resources. One such resource is the Career Services office at your college, where you can find:
- Self-assessment tools for career selection
- Career choice options and counselors
- Resume writing and credential management
- Interview preparation tips and help following up with hiring managers
Want to meet a Sodexo recruiter? Visit our booth at a Career Fair and inquire about our seasonal paid internships and entry-level positions.
Please stay tuned for more "Guiding Steps to Your Career" in future issues of Sodexo's Career Connections. If we have sparked your interest in career opportunities with Sodexo, view this video for more information on how to apply.