||Going Beyond Your Technical Skills to Make Your Next Career Move
By Karen Graham, Senior Recruiter
Developing technical skills is an important step in building your career. But, it's also important to build interpersonal skills – your ability to connect with people – to increase your employability and chances for promotion.
Candidates often look for reasons why they are not selected for job opportunities or promotions. If your technical skills are not holding you back, it may be worth investing time and energy on being better prepared for that next opportunity by considering your soft skills.
Soft skills that are often required, but not always considered by candidates, include:
- Listening – listening to understand is critical to job effectiveness and relationships
- Communications (oral and written) – ability to express yourself clearly using both formats
- Composure – staying calm under pressure; don't become defensive during tough times
- Managing multiple priorities – organizing time and energy by importance of tasks required
- Making decisions – looking at the whole picture, using policy/procedure and good judgment
- Problem solving – analyzing situations, developing solutions, anticipating needs
- Adaptability – showing flexibility and thinking ahead of back-up plans and options
So, what can you do to improve these skills? Whether you're a college student or a working professional, CNBC has a great list of six college courses to help candidates land jobs, including STEM classes (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), business and economics, professional writing, leadership studies, theater arts and classes that teach time management and public speaking skills.
Working professionals can also seek training opportunities through programs like Toastmasters, continuing education classes at technical colleges, and offerings through their local chamber of commerce.
As a global company, Sodexo encourages and supports continuous learning with a variety of opportunities to add to your existing know-how, acquire new skills, change professions and prepare for career growth and mobility. Sodexo University is one of the many concrete ways we deliver on our commitment to invest in you. With online tools, you can plan your development, keep track of your performance goals, and make use of thousands of resources to shape your future and grow with the company.
Want to learn more? Click here to learn more about career opportunities and advancement with Sodexo.